Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My life thus far...

A very dear friend once told me, upon hearing my story, that I was of the Bedouin people, a man with no home; a danger both unto myself and others. Until that day I had never rationalized my position in such a way. I had never considered the idea that not being fixed to one city to one country gave me a power others don't have; a life with less to lose. This is how my life has been; I have no family home to reminisce, no high school sweetheart, no lifelong friends. This friend’s observation was an epiphany for me. suddenly I realised why peoples trials and tribulations seemed trivial, why I couldn’t understand how people felt trapped in their own lives and why I just don’t seem to worry as much as everyone around me. The reason I decided to start writing this blog is because today I realised that friend was both empowering me and warning me. The Bedouin life is a life lived alone, a life without the kinds of relationships that typify normalcy. Knowing this I wouldn't trade the Bedouin life for any other. Perhaps you too are a Bedouin.


No comments: